Prestige® Buffalo lawn maintenance
Let's say you've properly installed your Prestige® Buffalo lawn—maintenance is the key to a long lasting beautiful lawn. Here are some great tips on mowing, watering, fertilising and keeping out pests, weeds and diseases...
- Mow your Buffalo lawn every 7-10 days in the hot months; mow every 3-6 weeks in the cold months.
- Mowing height will vary: 2-5cm in sunny/lightly shaded situations,5-7cm in heavier shaded situations.
Watering (see turf watering tips for detailed information)
- Water thoroughly and regularly after Prestige® Buffalo grass has been laid to encourage a deep and vigorous root system (turf will be able to fossick for water and therefore be more able to withstand hot dry conditions).
- Once the root system has fully established, water thoroughly only when needed (when a slight wilting is visible), usually once every 7-10 days in summer (on sandy soils more often), with much less or no water in cooler months.
- Remember that infrequent, deep watering promotes a healthy lawn.
- Over watering encourages excessive growth, disease and root rot.
- It is best to water in the early morning; night watering is not recommended.
- Lawns need to be fed to remain strong and healthy.
- It's important to use a slow release fertiliser one month after laying (applying fertiliser before this time has shown not to make a difference to lawn establishment).
- Use a complete fertiliser in early April and early September.
- At other times of the year use a slow release fertiliser. If you need a quick green up, use a fertiliser high in Nitrogen to promote a lush green lawn—e.g. Supergreen or organic based slow release fertilisers. In the heat of summer avoid over fertilising or using manure based products.
Pests, weeds & diseases
Prestige® Buffalo grass is resistant to pests, weeds etc compared to most other turf varieties, but as with any natural product, occasional problems can occur. If these problems occur we recommend the following:
- Pests—watch for the lawn grub (e.g. web worm or army worm) and African black beetle. Apply suitable pesticides according to directions.
- Weeds—if weeds infest, hand eradicate before seed head develops or apply a suitable weedicide (ask your local garden centre).
Watch the video on killing weeds
Download your weed control guide now...click here.
Watch the video on pest and disease control
Combat army worm and other lawn grubs.
Download your lawn grub guide now... click here.